Should I bring my family with me?

We strongly advise all Australia Awards students to arrive unaccompanied by their family.

Trying to get settled in with your family can be very stressful and expensive, and you need to ensure that you can focus on your Introductory Academic Program (IAP) and degree program.

All students should wait at least one semester before arranging for family to come and join them in Australia. This will give you time to find suitable accommodation, enquire about schooling, and settle into your program.

How much money should I bring?

Australia Awards students are encouraged to bring a minimum A$750 with them when travelling to Australia. Initial expenses include full payment of temporary accommodation, public transport, food and other essentials.

Soon after meeting with your Student Contact Officer you will have access to your establishment allowance.

How do I access my establishment allowance?

You will be provided with a cheque for your establishment allowance after you have met with your Student Contact Officer shortly after your arrival. Once you receive your establishment allowance cheque you will need to open a bank account, deposit the cheque and provide your banking details to your Student Contact Officer. Your banking details are required for the University to pay your contribution to living expenses (CLE).

How much is my contribution to living allowance (CLE) and when will it be paid into my account?

The current CLE rate is A$1150.01 and is paid into your nominated bank account each fortnight. Payments are calculated from your date of arrival in Australia and will cease 5 days after the official release of results or the end of your scholarship period, whichever comes first. The CLE is tax-free.

Your first pay date will depend on when you submit your bank account details to the Sponsored Students Unit. Please note there is no additional CLE provided for accompanying family members. If you have an issue receiving your allowance please contact your Student Contact Officer immediately.

What is the Introductory Academic Program (IAP)?

The Introductory Academic program (IAP) is a 4-5 week course that all commencing Australia Awards Scholarship holders must complete before the semester starts. During this program you will learn about the academic expectations at The University of Queensland and gain useful skills to manage your studies and life in Australia. The Program is organised by UQ Student Services.

When is Introductory Academic Program (IAP)?

For undergraduate and master’s students, semester one IAP sessions run from mid-January to mid-February and semester two IAP sessions run from mid-June to mid-July.

There is a separate IAP program for Higher Degree by Research (HDR) students which runs from early January to early February for research quarter 1 commencements.

Please monitor your email for exact dates and requirements.

How many courses do I have to take each semester?

You must study 8 units each semester to complete your degree within your original scholarship dates. If you do not complete your program on time your scholarship may be terminated.

The only instance in which you can study fewer than 8 units is if you are ahead in your studies, such as if you took courses in a previous Summer Semester. You can enrol in less than 8 units if you are in your last semester of study and require fewer than 8 units to meet the requirements of your program.

Can I transfer programs?

Australia Awards students are generally unable to transfer or upgrade their programs. Any program changes must be approved by the Australia Awards post.

If you would like more information on transferring programs please speak with your Student Contact Officer in the Sponsored Students Unit.

What supplementary support is available to Australia Awards Scholarship holders?

Depending on your program and circumstances, you may be able to access supplementary academic support, fieldwork support or workshop attendance support and reunion travel.

Supplementary Academic Support (SAS) is an entitlement that all Australia Awards scholars can access. Funds accrue at a rate of $500 per semester and can be used for individual tutoring, editing of a research project thesis or for conference attendance that is directly related to your program. Individual tutoring is generally approved for an initial eight hours. If you apply for funding to attend a conference you must have satisfactory academic performance and sufficient SAS funds remaining for future semesters. If approved the cost of the registration only will be able to be claimed from your SAS entitlement. All other expenses such as travel and accommodation expenses are to be paid by students. Students are permitted to travel to the conference destination one day prior to the conference and are required to return one day after the conference completion. Conference attendance will not be approved during your first semester.

If fieldwork is an essential part of your Higher Degree by Research (HDR) program, you can complete the Application for Fieldwork Support for HDR students. If you are planning to go on a mandatory fieldtrip as part of a course, you can complete the Application for fieldtrip. Please contact your Student Contact Officer to discuss your eligibility.

You are entitled to reunion travel support if your program length is at least two full-time academic years and you are not accompanied by family members. A 2-year master’s by coursework student is entitled to one reunion airfare. A PhD student is entitled to three reunion airfares. Reunion airfares must be booked through a campus travel agent and can only be accessed after you have successfully completed one full academic year. You cannot depart until the official release of results and must return before the start of the next semester. If your original offer includes a reunion travel entitlement and after you arrive you decide that your family will join you, you must forfeit your reunion airfare entitlement.

You must submit the required supplementary support form to your Student Contact Officer in the Sponsored Students Unit for approval. Written approval must be received before any support can be accessed. Please ensure you consult the Australia Awards Scholarships handbook in regards to the policy surrounding the use of your entitlements prior to submitting your application to your Student Contact Officer.

What are the visa conditions for me and my dependents?

Please refer to visa information in the Australia Awards handbook on the Australian Government's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website. 

Can I travel during semester breaks?

There are no travel restrictions during the study breaks, however, you must obtain permission from your Student Contact Officer if you intend to travel overseas.  

Please be aware that all travel must be within the non-study period.

OSHC will cover you for the entire duration of your scholarship period, including semester breaks, providing you are in Australia. If you are travelling internationally you should purchase additional traveller’s insurance.

Can I stay in Australia and pursue a PhD?

Generally Australia Awards Scholarship students are required to return to their home country for a minimum of 2 years after they have completed their scholarship studies in Australia.

Please see the Australia Awards handbook on the Australian Government's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade website for further information about visa requirements and remaining in Australia. 

When do I have to leave?

Australia Award Scholarship holders are required to leave Australia and return to their home country within 30 days the official release of results at the University, or before their visa expires, whichever comes first.

If you fail to depart Australia within 30 days of the official release of results, Australia Awards will immediately notify the Department of Home Affairs. You could be issued with a debt to the Commonwealth for the value of the entire scholarship.

How do I book return travel?

All completion travel must be booked through Campus Travel St Lucia when you are in your final semester of study. You should not purchase completion travel independently as no expenses will be reimbursed.

The Sponsored Students Unit will review and approve the proposed travel arrangements.

You are responsible for dependants’ travel and all dependants must depart Australia before you or with you. Dependant family members cannot remain in Australia once you have departed.

Please note that once completion travel is booked it cannot be varied without the approval of the Student Contact Officer in the Sponsored Students Unit. Any expenses related to changing a flight are your responsibility.

Can I attend my graduation?

If you are a coursework student you should be able to attend your graduation as graduation ceremonies are held approximately 2 weeks after the official release of results. 

If your results are not finalised at the time of the official release of results due to incomplete assignments or deferred exams, your graduation ceremony may be held in the next semester and you may not be able to attend.

Attending a graduation ceremony is not compulsory. Please keep in mind that financial support from Australia Awards ceases 5 days after the official release of results.

How do I make sure I settle back in once I am home?

Australia Awards offer a re-integration plan and Awardees are required to make contact with the Australia Awards office in their country/region to advise them of their return.