Australia Awards alumnus advancing conservation and sustainability in Bangladesh

5 Jul 2023

Sheeladitya Chakma is an environment expert promoting a sustainable future by restoring forest ecosystems and biodiversity in Cox's Bazar, Bangladesh.

In 2018, Sheeladitya completed a Master of Environmental Management in Conservation and Natural Resource Management from the University of Queensland, with the support of an Australia Awards Scholarship. Since completing this degree, Sheeladitya has worked mostly with the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN). While working with IUCN, he contributed to various projects, such as mitigating conflict between humans and elephants, restoring forest landscapes, and engaging with youth groups to solve environmental issues in Cox’s Bazar.

“My Australian degree and experience have strengthened my capability to develop and apply preventive and corrective techniques to solve environmental degradation problems. Through my technical guidance and coordination, I was part of rehabilitating 50 hectares of severely degraded land through a plantation program using native tree species,” he says. “However, I believe the success of an eco-restoration project hinges significantly on continued efforts and acquisition of funding to ensure proper care and maintenance, particularly for high-density areas.”

Read full article on the Australia Awards website