UQ Life by Jun Yan Chang

The poet, John Greenleaf Whittier, wrote in ‘Maud Müller’ that

For of all sad words of tongue or pen,

The saddest are these: “It might have been!"

My fondest dream has always been to earn a PhD. Doing so at UQ has exceeded all my expectations. 

The environment at UQ is simply brilliant, in so many ways. Academic discussions are robust and enlightening. My PhD supervisors have been invaluable to my work. It is no surprise that UQ is so highly regarded globally. The administrators, in the Graduate School, the School of Political Science and International Studies, and St John’s College, where I first stayed at UQ, were always positive and helpful. My sponsor likewise appreciated the ease of liaising with the appropriate agencies in the University.

On top of these, the overall atmosphere on campus is invigorating. The lovely Jacaranda trees in bloom during summer seem straight off a renowned watercolour. The refreshing winter breeze is a sharp contrast to hot, sunny and humid Singapore, where I am based.

Perhaps the only imperfection marring the excellence is UQ’s food on campus, which is not as varied as in Singapore. Singapore’s hawker culture is set to be inscribed in UNESCO’s intangible cultural heritage list. Regardless, it has not stopped me from enjoying many a meal at the picturesque UQ Lakes.

My UQ experience has been an absolute delight, and I look forward to continued engagement with UQ as an alumnus.

4 January 2021