Caged Fish Value Chain, Lake Victoria, Kisumu, Kenya

Rosemary Akinyi Wanasunia, an Agribusiness short course participant in 2017, is a County Program Coordinator at the Agricultural Sector Development Support Program in Kenya.

Rosemary’s project had three objectives:

• Improving the market orientation of caged fish value chains by conducting consumer research and establishing the drivers of value creation
  • Investigate the relationships between chain actors, and their ability to gather, share and utilise information.
  • Make evidence-based recommendations to improve the competitiveness of chain actors by improving value creation and efficiency.

The team conducted a rapid value chain analysis by interviewing 25 chain actors in Kisumu and Siaya County on the shore of Lake Victoria. The interviews involved ten consumers in a focus group discussion and two through shopper observation; two input suppliers; four producers; three wholesalers; one transporter and four retailers.

Rosemary said that the course gave her insight into the challenges that are affecting the agricultural value chains. 

“When I came back to Kenya, I was able to capacity build my colleagues whom I am working with to drive this process," she said. 

"I am so grateful to the Australian Government, DFAT, The University of Queensland and Australia Awards – Africa for this opportunity they gave us. The relationships we have created inside Africa and outside Africa, we are still benefitting from them. I think it is something that we are going to benefit from up until the time we will be able to say we have developed a very stable fish value chain that the Australian Government and the Professors that taught us are proud about.”

Download a brochure about this 2017 Agribusiness Short Course Award.

Duration:  January 2019
Funding source: Australia Awards: Short Term Award

20 November 2020