My multicultural Australia

24 Sep 2018

Queensland Multicultural Awards finalist Madina Mohmood reflects on the people and circumstances that inspire her to make a positive change in her community. The Queensland Multicultural Awards recognise the valuable contributions of Queenslanders who support and promote a united, harmonious and inclusive Queensland community.

I was born in Australia and raised in an Afghan household.

Despite growing up away from Afghanistan, Afghan culture is a big part of my identity. But it wasn’t until recently, when I met young Afghan-Australians in the same position as me, that I really embraced my background. 

I would love to be able to mentor other young people in the same way and pay forward the kindness that I have received.

Being ‘third culture kids’ means that we are uniquely positioned to create a culture that is inclusive of both Afghan and Australian ways of life. This prompted me to help form the Afghan Students’ Association (AfSA) at UQ in 2015 alongside a group of Afghan-Australian students who shared my passion for making a positive contribution to the community.

Read full blog on UQ Small Change