UQ student receives a prestigious award from Julie Bishop

17 November 2015
Mrs Wenny Sunaharum and fellow award winner and UQ alumnus Mr Rumayya Batubara with The Hon Julie Bishop MP

University of Queensland student Wenny Sunarharum received the prestigious 2015 Australia Awards Hadi Soesastro Prize from Minister of Foreign Affairs, The Hon Julie Bishop MP, at a ceremony in Canberra last month.

The annual prize supports the work of Indonesian academics completing their doctorates in Australia with the aim of developing young leaders and promoting people-to-people and educational links between Australia and Indonesia.

Mrs Sunarharum, who is undertaking her PhD research at the Queensland Alliance for Agriculture and Food Innovation (QAAFI) at The University of Queensland, said she was honoured to be one of the two Indonesian students to receive the award this year.

"I am honoured and grateful for this award as it will assist me greatly with my research and to take part in conferences and postdoctoral studies," she said.

Mrs Sunarharum is a lecturer at the Department of Food Science and Technology at the Brawijaya University in Malang, Indonesia and her PhD research is supported by a Prime Minister’s Australia Asia Endeavour Scholarship from the Australian Government.

“I hope that in the future I can contribute to fostering collaboration in food and agriculture between Indonesia and Australia,” she said.

Furthermore, I hope to contribute to improving quality and meeting the food and nutritional needs of Indonesia."

The Hadi Soesastro Prize honours one of Indonesia’s most eminent thinkers, the late Professor Hadi Soesastro, an economist, academic and public intellectual who made major contributions to Asia-Pacific cooperation.

Find out more about UQ’s international scholarship programs

Media: Dr Jessica Gallagher, j.gallagher@uq.edu.au, 07 3346 7869 or Melanie Martin, melanie.martin@uq.edu.au, 07 3346 0665